Mar 29, 2019 | Your Business, Your Relationships
Do you work to live, or live to work? Plus 5 ways to achieve more balance [Lesson Learned #5]
Today marks my fifth and final newsletter in this series of the most important lessons I’ve learned in the last 5 years of business.
It’s perfectly timed that today while you read this newsletter, I’m waking up in a treehouse in the Dominican Republic where I’m leading my third annual transformational retreat with my beautiful business partner and friend, Megan Taylor Morrison.
To that end, the final business lesson I want to leave you with is a final reminder to work to live instead of living to work.
I know this is challenging for many of you because if you’re like me, you find your work deeply meaningful. You enjoy what you do and get a deep sense of fulfillment and joy from the contribution you make through your work.
But, there’s more to you than your work.
You are so much more than the deals you close, the clients you serve, and the projects you make come to life.
You deserve to be happy, you deserve to find meaning in your life outside of your work, and you absolutely and fundamentally deserve to experience joy on a recurring basis.
I’m currently reading the Book of Joy written by the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu (I highly recommend it!). In the interviews with the Dalai Lama, he eloquently explains how happiness is externally acquired while joy is inherently located.
I behoove you to make it your job to locate that joy in your life.
Not only will it unlock your unbounded potential, but it will fill your life with deep meaning and purpose (leaps and bounds greater than what can be found from your career)
You deserve this.
If you find that your workaholic tendencies are getting the best of you and that you’re living to work, instead of working to live, I encourage you to start small and consider making some of these changes.
5 Ways to Start Working to Live Instead of Living to Work
1. Find a Hobby. What hobby or interest brought you joy in your childhood? Do you want to return to that hobby, or maybe pick up a new one? Explore other areas of interest besides work!
2. Volunteer. Who can you be of service to, so you can get outside of yourself? Serving feels so good!
3. Travel. Adventure should be my middle name. I’ve written more about the benefits of self-care and travel here. But maybe you need to book a trip, or join us on a PACK Retreat? Travel truly rejuvenates the soul.
4. Fitness. Do you have a physical goal that you’ve delayed pursuing? (Training for my first marathon was how I took my power back during a turning point in my own life where I was feeling powerless over my life’s circumstances and seeking direction.)
5. Passion. I believe that many of us have entrepreneurial dreams. It’s time to pursue your passion, dear one. Start that side hustle, finish that book, pick up that paintbrush again, write that play, or cut the umbilical cord and resign from your 9-to-5 to pursue your passion. Be smart about it, of course, but do it! Life is too short to not step outside the confines of your comfort zone and live each day zestfully and with purpose.
We all need a little more self-love in our lives, ultimately, that’s what it all comes down to.
May you know how inherently deserving of this you are, and make it your number one job to obtain more joy in life.
On our Masterminders’ Bookshelf
Get instant access to a curated list of needle-moving books that’s essential reading in the UNBOUNDED Mastermind.
Thoughtfully divided into categories - Health & Wellbeing, Love & Relationships, Money & Finances, Leadership, Spirituality, and more - so you can start creating a foundation for the life and business you’ve always wanted intentionally.
Empathy Driven Marketing with Krista Walsh
Welcome back to The Prosperous Empath! We are starting off the year with a series on conscious entrepreneurship. I notice a push for this in the online industry and it is something that comes naturally to HSPs and empaths. I’m excited for our guest today, Krista Walsh, who is creating a beautiful launching point for us in the series. In our conversation, you’ll hear what empathy driven marketing is, alternatives to writing to pain points, how to trust yourself and more. This episode is packed with so many insights from Krista that will help you feel confident in the way that you market yourself and your business.
Visit this episode’s show notes page here.